"Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assaults of thought of the unthinking." ~~ John Maynard Keynes

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rain down on me.....

So, indeed, here I find myself standing at the screen door during violent storms almost as if called to be part of this great cleansing of the Earth.  For that is what it feels like.  Like everything is being scrubbed clean. There are also those times when the Earth is parched and the waters slake its thirst.
Rain carries with it that soul cleansing and nourishing quality, yet there are times when it almost acts like a scourge upon the earth, as with the recent tsunami in Japan and the numerous floods around the globe. 

Heavy Summer Rain
~~Jane Kenyon 
The grasses in the field have toppled,
and in places it seems that a large, now
absent, animal must have passed the night.
The hay will right itself if the day

turns dry. I miss you steadily, painfully.
None of your blustering entrances
or exits, doors swinging wildly
on their hinges, or your huge unconscious
sighs when you read something sad,
like Henry Adam’s letters from Japan,
where he traveled after Clover died.

Everything blooming bows down in the rain:
white irises, red peonies; and the poppies
with their black and secret centers
lie shattered on the lawn.

These lyrics from Mumford and Sons weave nicely into tonight's cloth.

Thistle & Weeds
~~Mumford & Sons
Spare me your judgments and spare me your dreams
Cause recently mine have been tearing my seams
I sit alone in this winter clarity which clouds my mind
Alone in the wind and the rain you left me
It's getting dark darling, too dark to see
And I'm on my knees, and your faith in shreds, it seems

Corrupted by the simple sniff of riches blown
I know you have felt much more love than you've shown
And I'm on my knees and the water creeps to my chest

But plant your hope with good seeds
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds
Rain down, rain down on me
Look over your hills and be still
The sky above us shoots to kill
Rain down, rain down on me

But I will hold on
I will hold on hope
  

   And my own attempt at capturing a quality of rain....
   
  Garden Friends
  ~~jkreed

When first this began
With its spring-like energy
delicate tendrils new and fragile
looked for sustenance and nurturing
the sun’s energy
pulled them in
but like a drought-filled summer
the intensity of the sun
began to cause harm where once it nurtured
their growth was skewed
dependent upon only one source
those once tender shoots now in the height of growth
wilt and shrivel
burned by the sun’s intensity
beaten down by the thing that once fed and sustained them
but hope persists
and they lie waiting for the rains
that will slake their thirst
and revive their souls
remind them of why they had been on this journey in the first place
the rains come
and they drink of it
but no longer with the wild abandon they once did
these first attempts are furtive and uncertain
the scars from their first attempt still livid and apparent
so they rise up from the earth,  buoyed by hope and the certainty that
they had come too far to let it all go
now they grow again
more carefully
more gently
less certain
they are perennials these two
each spring ready to put out tender green shoots
but always at the root
where it matters most
there is
them

Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.   
             ~George Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment