"Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assaults of thought of the unthinking." ~~ John Maynard Keynes

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ain't nothing like the real thing....

Lying on the couch reading, I am cognizant of how much I enjoy the tangible aspects of reading.  I like to feel the weight of the book in my hands and to move my fingers along the pages and feel their texture.  Mostly though, I am still enchanted by the act of turning a page and seeing what next will be revealed. So tonight I acknowledge those who acknowledge the "book."

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
~~Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of library."
~~Jorge Luis Borges

"Let others pride themselves about how many pages they have written; I'd rather boast about the ones I've read."
~~Jorge Luis Borges

"Let no one reduce to tears or reproach
This statement of the mastery of God,
Who, with magnificent irony, gave
Me at once both books and night

Of this city of books He pronounced rulers
These lightless eyes, who can only
Peruse in libraries of dreams
The insensible paragraphs that yield

With every new dawn. Vainly does the day
Lavish on them its infinite books,
Arduous as the arduous manuscripts
Which at Alexandria did perish.

Of hunger and thirst (a Greek story tells us)
Dies a king amidst fountains and gardens;
I aimlessly weary at the confines
Of this tall and deep blind library.

Encyclopedias, atlases, the East
And the West, centuries, dynasties
Symbols, cosmos and cosmogonies
Do walls proffer, but pointlessly.

Slow in my shadow, I the hollow shade
Explore with my indecisive cane;
To think I had imagined Paradise
In the form of such a library.

Something, certainly not termed
Fate, rules on such things;
Another had received in blurry
Afternoons both books and shadow.

Wandering through these slow corridors
I often feel with a vague and sacred dread
That I am another, the dead one, who must
Have trodden the same steps at the same time.

Which of the two is now writing this poem
Of a plural I and of a single shadow?
How important is the word that names me
If the anathema is one and indivisible?

Groussac or Borges, I see this darling
World deform and extinguish
To a pale, uncertain ash
Resembling sleep and oblivion"  
~~Jorge Luis Borges

No comments:

Post a Comment